Thursday, February 28, 2008

Living the vida loca

I always wanted to publish a novel. I know, that makes two of us. But I was so close. I have an agent. I have a finished manuscript. I've gotten encouraging letters from editors. And then.

Then I stopped working on it.

This may seem nuts, but it came out of a concatination of messy life events. I won't bore you with the details. I'll just mention they include a corpse, a PI license, and a plane ticket to Zürich, and we'll leave it at that.

So these days I'm living the American version of the vida loca. I have a mortgage and credit card debt. I want to redo the bathroom. I work 40 hours a week for a midsize company, and Powerpoint has become part of my life.

I hate it. My job isn't bad at all; what I hate is the realization, which hits late at night, that I have abandoned my dreams for the sake of a 401(k) and decent health insurance. There has to be a better way.

So this blog has two purposes: to document the journey from corporate working bee to cool artistic type, and to explore ways to finance the dream--my dream or yours.

No comments: